Monday, April 13, 2015

Stempunk Letter Writing

Just like with board games, one of the main reasons I was attracted to the Steampunk fandom is because of its affinity for the old-fashioned way of doing things. With board games, you are getting face-to-facetime, away from phone calls and other technologies. And letter writing is very much emphasized as part of the Steampunk fandom. For a snail mail geek such as myself, this makes Steampunk a certain haven for me and my interests.

This is one aspect of the Steampunk fandom where looking into the Victorian tradition of sending mail is definitely a great idea, since it's sort of hard to glue gears and cogs onto an envelope and still manage to fit it through the mailbox. This is something where you take a more old-fashioned approach, where you spend time writing the letter and conveying your thoughts to another person. It's an old, romantic way of communicating that Steampunk brings back full-force.

Here is another area where Pinterest was most helpful. I myself have a wax seal I could have used and photographed for the occasion - but to be honest, fire and melting wax scare me, and I could psych myself up enough in time for this project. So I will have to enlighten you with other people's photographs instead.
I challenge anyone reading this to write somebody they know a letter, as opposed to an email, sometime this summer. Revel in the process of the writing and then sealing it up and sending it off, see how it makes you feel. It really is a fun experience, and I love writing letters and decorating the envelope before sending it off to its final destination.

No comments:

Post a Comment