Monday, April 13, 2015

Steampunk DIY

One of the most enjoyable parts of the Steampunk fandom that relates to creating your own character is spending the time to create your own costume and accessories to help put together your character's look. This is one of the old-fashioned aspects of this fandom that drew me to admire Steampunk in the first place - it's certainly possible nowadays to walk into a store or go online and to acquire all of the pieces of your costume without having to do any further work, but what is fun is sitting down and putting real effort into the pieces you make. The end result will of course vary on your personal skill set. If you know how to sew or weld then you'll be able to create some detailed and intricate piecess from scratch, but if you are lacking in those sorts of skills then you are left with operating a glue gun, some pliers, and a little dose of creativity.

One DIY project I plan on tackling as part of my Steampunk character costume is to play around with some options for the hat my character wears. It's a bowler hat, and I bought one that already included some Steampunk decorations, but I don't plan on keeping it as I purchased it. With having to research and write the posts for this blog, along with finishing up other final assignments, I didn't have enough time to tackle any of these DIY projects on my own, but I have had plenty of time to start planning for what I would like to do with my hat for my costume.
My character, still unnamed, works with plants and various herbs, as she is the owner and operator of a tea shop. So I plan on using nature-themed decorations throughout the copper, brass and aged gold decorations that will be a part of my final costume. My hope is the combination of these two ideas will amount to a pretty interesting final product.

One great resource for DIY project ideas, aside from the internet at large? Look no further than Pinterest! Here are some of the ideas I have collected for how I could potentially change this hat to better fit my character.
The Steampunk fandom is an artisan's dream! There are countless vendors that you'll see at nearly any kind of convention that are peddling their handmade wares which contain a Steampunk or Victorian flair. I myself own items like this, and I know I will be picking up others at the future conventions I will be attending.

No comments:

Post a Comment